Monday, July 14, 2008

The Gospel: Tales from the Heart


When I say the word, "gospel"... what is the first thing you think of? "Good news", is what I've been taught my entire life. The first four books of the New Testament are the "Gospels". Both of these things are correct interpretations of the word, "gospel". But, Sunday night I was given a completely different perspective on what good news really is.

I arrived late at church (because I hit a monsoon on the way home from Georgia) and I slipped into the back row. Shanna Smith was telling a story about mission trip and was about halfway through. For the next hour or so I sat and listened to story after story of how God moved while the church was in Michigan. Now, I didn't go on this trip, but still my heart was stirred as I heard those stories. I began to realize that stories such as these are a prime example of "good news". Sure, God wants us to tell the story of Jesus and how He died, but I truly believe that He wants us to follow the story of Jesus's death with how Jesus is living and working through us. Is that not the "good news" that each and every one of us with a relationship with Christ holds? My good news story is different than yours and everyone elses, but it is still meant to be voiced, to be heard, and to be celebrated.

As I began to think about this, I felt a bit ashamed. God has done a marvelous work in my life. He still is. But, I have neglected to share the stories of what He has done like I should. The wonderful and even mysterious thing is that our story is constantly changing, God is constantly working, and that is what keeps our unique stories in Christ new...

1 comment:

Dave O Life Coach said...

This is a lesson that I wish that I had learned with I was in my early 20's. Christ has done a great work in me also, and I've been too quiet about it! "One generation shall commen your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts." (Ps 145:4) I've found great joy, recently, in sharing what God has done in my life. Keep telling the good news, Emily!